Saturday, March 23, 2013

March 24, 2013: Learning, gaming, and decorating

Lately, Liam has learned about calculating elapsed time.  I know this is a weird skill to document but he never ceases to amaze me with concepts he picks up so easily at 4 years old.  During our drive to gymnastics one day I made the comment about running late.  Liam asked what time we had to be there (10:30) and then looked at the clock in the car (10:24).  I explained this meant we had 6 minutes from the time now till we had to be there.  By the drive home, he totally got it and is now the unofficial timekeeper of the family.  He now loves to ask when we need to be somewhere and then will figure out how many minutes we have to get there.  He even understands how the hours change after 59 minutes.  I love to see his brain work! 
Bryn has been working on her letters lately and Liam has been a great teacher.  She's so smart as she likes to associate each letter with a person: L is for Liam, J is for Jayden-from her class, D is for daddy, E is for evil step-mother (sigh).  Haven't come up with people for X or W but she managed to learn those anyway :)
Now that Liam can read 'easy readers', I joke that I can outsource story time when I'm too tired :)  Bryn thinks it's a treat that Liam will read her book before bed and I can tell how proud he is...

Some of Liam's new favorite games are Battleship...
which he plays against team Daddy/Bryn...
 and Rummikub which I just taught him how to play.  He quickly picked up the basic concepts, especially of sets and runs.  He has no idea we are grooming him for a lifetime of card games in this family :)
Last Friday, we had some friends over to decorate Easter eggs...complete with bunny ears!
 Excited to decorate eggs...

 Michael, James, and Liam...
 Sophie and Bryn...
Baby Trey and I are just plugging along, and now that I'm going for check-ups every 2 weeks, the 3rd trimester seems to be going pretty fast!  Feeling kind of huge at this point, although I can't complain too much as I still feel pretty energetic and am sleeping well (most nights).  And it definitely doesn't hurt that Nick and the kids woke me up with breakfast (donuts, scrambled eggs, fruit) in bed!

No comments: