Wednesday, February 3, 2010

February 3, 2010: Liam's 17 months and Mommy's...a year older :)

This post is two weeks late, but what's new? Life here is fun, crazy, still a little disorganized, but definitely worth it! Many Friday nights are spent as family pizza/poker nights. Saturday nights the big kids (Nick, Cam, Rach and me!) get to go out while Mallie and Dallie babysit. We hang out alot with Rachel and Cameron, but have been getting together with new friends too. It's such a treat to have the nights out, since we were not able to do this in LA (no babysitter!) Props to our LA friends though, because we brought Liam along to every BBQ, house party, game night, and get together we were invited to. No, I was not the mom who had a baby in a bar, but our entire group of partying (child-less) friends were always welcoming of "our" baby :) Rachel has also included me in some of her girls' nights out and I've even had one of my own with some new toddler mommy friends. Yay for mommies night out!
During the week Liam and I are still home together while I'm house/job hunting. We do lots of playdates with our toddler group and, of course, with Presley. Nick has been working long hours and weekends, and I know how hard he's working so that we have this wonderful life in Dallas. Here's some pics of our family lounging time...


Another plus to being in Dallas is that we live close to Nick's best friend David...who happens to play for the Rangers! We are looking forward to his games this season and even went to a signing event recently to support him. Liam LOVED seeing the Frisco RoughRiders stadium (where the signing was held) and I know he will love going to the games.

My birthday was very low-key but fun. Just dinner with family (and Kate!) and of course some card games. Nick got me an otoscope which was the perfect gift!! Within minutes I was invading everyone's ear privacy...haha, okay that's weird, but really I love being able to check Liam or Presley's ears whenever we might be worried they have an ear infection. Speaking of, Liam has NOT had one since we moved here. We had scheduled his tube placement surgery and then I cancelled at the last minute. I can't explain it, but I just kept thinking it wasn't the right time. We had a follow up appt. with ENT a few weeks ago and he agreed...as long as Liam's ears stay clear-no tubes!! Hopefully the change of climate + no daycare will help to ensure this.

Speaking of health, Liam and Presley recently did some labwork together. Presley needed to have her iron level checked at 9mo and Liam needed his iron and CBC checked again (more to come on this later-but after taking iron for about 4 months we are really hoping the results are finally improving). For those who don't know, this requires a venipuncture-blood taken from the arm. What nice mommies we are taking them together, huh? We hoped they might comfort/distract each other, or at least Liam could be strong for Pres. Did not exactly happen that way though...

Here they are before the needle stick. Liam showing his manly "you don't scare me" attitude...
Presley realizing what is about to happen...Liam's bravery is fading...
Even though we didn't get pictures after the procedure, this pretty much sums it up...Liam rebelled, screamed, and cried before, during, and 20 minutes after the procedure. Presley fussed for about 5 seconds while they held her arm and then spent the rest of the afternoon comforting Liam :)
I had to include this pic of the kids...They had just taken their bath and since Pres had no jammies over here, she borrowed some of Liam's. He graciously brushed (or rather 'picked') her hair afterwards too :)
Liam has been full of surprises lately. His palate continues to become more refined as he now eats salmon with couscous and spinach, pork tenderloin with turnips, parsnips, and carrots...and Lucky Charms. Yes, Nick, Dal, and Liam were very excited to eat cereal for dinner when I wasn't home one night :) Here are some of the cute things he's doing. He puts his clothes in the hamper after changing. Although before throwing his socks in, he likes to smell them and says "pee-wee". I'm pretty sure he means pee-ew, but it's cuter his way :) He brushes his teeth (with our help, of course). His version of spitting out the toothpaste is blowing raspberries towards the sink! He tries to snap his fingers whenever he hears music playing. He can count to 4!! (I'll post a video of this soon) He loves to play on "dal's bed" and usually follows him into his room where they proceed to jump on the bed.
He also started doing something funny lately. I couldn't figure out what he was doing but then one day I finally looked over and thought...is he doing yoga?!?! The only conclusion I have is that Liam and I used to do mommy/baby yoga in Santa Monica. The last time we went was when he was about 15 months old. I don't know why this is just coming out now, but I'm pretty sure this is Liam doing the cobra and down dog positions :)

Since Liam is so smart, he's also started to "announce" his bowel habits by telling us "poo poo". Mal thought maybe we was ready for the potty so we pulled out his little seat and let him sit up there. No success yet, but he loves to talk about the "biii potty" (big potty) and flush and wash his hands afterwards. I'm definitely in no rush to potty train, but think it's good to let him play around with the process...and what could be better than a relaxing book on the potty?? This is probably a habit I shouldn't start...
Life seems to be moving too fast and even at 17 months Liam has started the "terrible twos". I made a naughty spot out of a cheap, green placemat from Walmart. I just wanted something that he could recognize and that I could have multiple of...he has naughty spots at Mal and Rachy's houses so he'll always have one around in case we need it :) So far Liam has been in the naughty spot about 4 times for hitting (Mal), biting (me), climbing up the stairs (yes, he got around the gate) and hitting again (Mal). He sits on the spot for one minute and even though he cries, he doesn't get up. Afterwards he says "sowee" (sorry) and gives a hug to whoever he owes the apology to. Maybe since he's starting these behaviors early, we'll also get through it early?? We'll see I guess.
His speech and phrases continue to amaze me daily. He is officially having conversations...well at least with Nick and I. Here's the section I call "Deep Thoughts-by Liam James"

Setting: breakfast table with Liam, Mal, and me
Me: Wow, Liam you really like your cream of wheat. You already finished the whole bowl!
Liam: mo wheat wheat mama!
Me: What do you say?
Liam: peas! (please)
Me: Okay, I guess you can have the rest of mine. Mommy will share with you.
Liam: shaaar (share) mama!
(Liam begins rubbing his eyes and yawning after finishing my bowl.)
Me: Liam, are you tired? Do you want to go night night?
Liam: Pay (play) mama!!
Me: Okay, play time!

Setting: Mal, Dal, Nick, Liam and me sitting down to dinner
Liam: Sit Mal! Sit dada! Sit Dal! Sit mama!
Me: Okay Liam, we are all sitting at the table now.
Liam: mmmm
Dada: What are you eating Liam?
Liam: Sauce! (applesauce)
Dada: Why don't you eat some of your hamburger?
Liam: ham..bur..ger
Dada: That's right Liam! Take a bite.
Liam: Dip! (asking for ketschup to dip it into)

Setting: Anytime during the week when Liam and I are hanging out
Liam: (looking in our bedroom) Dada wurk!
Me: Yes Liam, daddy is at work.
Liam: (later in the day, 'talking' on his phone) Dada wurk!
Me: Are you calling daddy at work? Tell him I said to come home early!
Liam: ( in his crib, going down for his nap, talking to Bobo his stuffed dog) Dada wurk!
Me: (I don't say anything back because I'm watching from his video monitor...but man this kid loves and misses his dad like crazy!!)

I'll post Liam's 18 month stats when he goes for his appt. in two weeks!! For now, we're just enjoying our toddler :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was lucky to catch this blog before I packed lunches this morning. I enjoyed so much seeing all the pictures and hearing all about the new things Liam says and does. He is growing so fast it seems but I also think it seems that way because he is so smart!!!
Love seeing the pictures of him and "Pres" together! Can't wait to see you all in a few weeks.
Love Grandma Debbie

Anonymous said...

Liam is growing so fast. My We get the snapfish versions so I can get them to Greatgrandparents. Thanks for the postings.

Love
pops

Rachel and Cameron said...

Presley loves playing with you, Liam!! You have taught her so many new things. I know you are the reson she's so talkative and crawling so well- she wants to be big just like you! You are such a big boy and doing so great in Texas. We are so glad to have you here!! See you tomorrow

Ashley and Matt Sheehan said...

Your posts are way too cute!! Too bad Presley and Liam are related because they sure would make a cute couple :)

Anonymous said...

Liam--I feel like we have twin souls. Before I fully embraced the whole toilet thing, I would take my toilet (it was one of the stand alone models) and pull it in front of the TV and watch from the comfort of my throne. Or, if I was feeling more academic, I would grab a book and settle in for a nice read.
--Lippers
PS: Don't get TOO attached to Presley...remember, in your heart of hearts, I'm your favorite girl!