Wednesday, October 21, 2009

October 21, 2009: 3rd Anniversary!

Nick and I are celebrating our 8 years together and 3 years of marriage today. For this occasion, I scanned some of our college photos so I could put them in the blog as well. Here's a (very small) glimpse at our history together...
Where it all began...Aside from literally capturing the moment we were introduced in Branscomb lobby, this picture was really our first moment together. Nick and I were just friends freshman year and I invited him to my Jimmy Buffet sorority party. We went to Rio Bravo with a big group for dinner and drinks before. I cannot believe that they actually served us a margarita..we were only 18 but look like we are 14 years old!! PS-Liam if you are reading this, Mommy and Daddy do not condone underage drinking and we only drank half a margarita each :)
Here we are on our first official date junior year. We went to dinner at Green Hills Grill then out in downtown Nashville to meet up with all our friends. At the end of the night we were looking for a cab, but there was not one to be found. No worries Nick Barker, I found us a limo to take us back to Vandy!! On his poor college budget, he was freaking out, but was a good sport and even smiled for our picture on our fancy ride home ;)

Junior year, Nick was my date to Tridelt formal...Cheering for my favorite soccer player senior year...Graduating from Vanderbilt together...but then separating across the country. Nick took a job in LA and I went to Columbia in NYC for my nursing degree. We were determined to make literally the longest possible distance in the US work :)New Years Eve 2004 in NYC...Nick came to stay with me in New York for the month before his job began. He also partially lived with my family in New Jersey..without me! Even then he was already a member of the fam. We had a great time visiting each other and have so many fond memories of hanging on the Upper West side...


After Columbia graduation, I made the leap of faith and moved to LA to be with Nick. I moved into an apartment in Marina with my friend Alli, and Nick was living in Palms with his buddy Ricky. This is us at my first LA apt.


Celebrating my 24th birthday in LA...


Christmas 2005...our first Christmas in LA and away from our families. As a nurse, I had to work holidays and it was my turn. We were living in Santa Monica at the time and Nick stayed with me, and cooked (burnt) a ham for me while I slept between my 12 hour night shifts! Best Christmas dinner ever :)My birthday, Jan. 2006...Nick planned a trip up the coast where he proposed one night in Big Sur!Our engagement pictures...amateur and professionalThe happiest day of my life!The honeymoon in Cabo...Nick's 26th birthday...We spent the first year of our marriage hanging with friends, playing kickball, road-tripping to Vegas (alot!), and just having fun!First year anniversary...We went to Santa Barbara for a weekend where we went wine tasting and biked on the beaches (we took our bikes with us).Christmas 2007...We were in Houston with Nick's family. Why was I eating so much food?? I literally put on 5 lbs of what I thought was holiday weight...It's because I was (surprise!!) pregnant!! This is me 3 months pregnant when I thought my belly was huge :)


This is the day we found out we were having a boy at 17 weeks along. Looking back, I guess Nick figured since I was letting my body go, he could let his hair go :)

June 2008...Babymoon in San Francisco!The second happiest day of my life!

And now...

After 3 years, we don't have as many dates out, but Liam has enhanced our lives in ways we both could never have imagined. These 3 years have been amazing but also have had moments of difficulty, especially raising a baby with no family close by. We have truly had to lean on each other, learn from each other, and appreciate and cherish all our blessings. I love you Nick Barker...from college sweetheart, to bbc boyfriend, to roommate, to (p)fiance, to hu, to dada. Juntos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are amazing Emily.
Those pictures of us are crazy but they sure tell an awesome story.

Happy Anniversary

William said...

nick's face in the limo shot (priceless) ... happy anniversary!

Anonymous said...

wow! what a great compilation of pics and memories :) great job em and congrats to you both!!!!