Thursday, July 16, 2009

July 17, 2009: 11 months old and a missing appendix :(

Let's start from the beginning...This past weekend we had a wonderful visit planned with Grandma Debbie and Aunt Linds. The night they got in town I went to the emergency room for what turned out to be appendicitis and had an open appendectomy the next day. I was so bummed, but it turned out to be such a blessing they were in town. We left Liam at home and they all got some really good bonding time in. Nick was able to be with me until they wheeled me in the OR for which I was grateful cause I'm kind of a nervous patient :) Mal also flew in that morning and was delivered to the hospital (thanks Drew!) to meet me when I got out of surgery. Mal also stayed this first week to help take care of us and get me back on my feet. Mal has taken over my role, doing all Liam's meals and diapers, taking him to and from school, and getting up with him at night. And of course Nick stepped up coming straight home from work to whatever errands or tasks we had waiting for him. It's been hard to not be as hands on with Liam, but I guess I did need this break. Although this whole process was scary and unexpected, left me scarred and unable to carry Liam for 4 weeks (YIKES!!), and interrupted my first week on the job, there were some good things that came out of this. First, as you might have noticed from the blog, Liam is very attached to Nick and I. Although his daddy is so outgoing, Liam's a little slow to warm up to new people, probably like his mommy. Since this happened so fast, I was worried about leaving Liam with the grandmas and Linds cause I thought he would be so upset without me. I love that he needs me but was so happy to learn he was fine without me. He did so well, and as I said, formed really great bonds with all of them. The other blessing in disguise is that my surgery really weaned Liam....sorry if it's TMI but I was still nursing him and was a little concerned that he might never want to stop :) He switched easily over to formula and although it's a little sad for me, he's such a big boy now and I think it was the right time. And the last blessing is that I really think I was probably run down and this was my body's way of asking for a break. With my hectic schedule and since I was still nursing Liam, I had lost a lot of weight...like too much weight. I was tired and not eating well and this event has made me realize I need to take care of myself...not that I don't mind weighing what I did 10 years ago :) but a few more pounds probably couldn't hurt. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers. They were much appreciated and I am now on the mend! Anyway sorry for the length but that's what has consumed my week. Now let's see it in pics!

Before surgery, Jamie and I took Liam to the beach for an afternoon. He LOVED the water even though the pacific is freezing.
Also before the surgery, Suz was in town and she and I went out to a lovely dinner with Liam. I think he liked her especially when she was feeding him avocado.
Liam came to visit me in the hospital and his love was JUST what I needed before going in to surgery.
Here are my helpers feeding, bathing, and playing with Liam! What a happy guy with his new BFF Linds and Grandma Debbie.
Grandma Debbie and Linds also celebrated Liam's 1st birthday while they were out here since they won't see him in August. He got so many clothes, books, and toys...what a lucky little boy! His party theme was Curious George and he had an angel food cake and opened his own gifts.
I can't believe he's almost a year old. He is still cruising on furniture and attempting to take a few steps, but not totally successful yet. His biggest development is that he has started signing to us! We have been using baby signs since he was little and he has started signing "all done" and "more" back to us! It's so neat to see him dictate his wants in his own words. He also loves to dance and if you start singing or play music he will literally freeze in place and start bopping his head and moving his body...I will get this on film! He's also transitioning to the toddler room at school, so I'm sure we'll see his development just take off. Oh and his hair is getting curlier by the day, just like his daddy :)

1 comment:

Rachel and Cameron said...

Yall have been busy. Can't wait to see you guys in Florida. Glad you're feeling better.