Tuesday, June 5, 2012

June 5, 2012: Smarty Pants (with working video!)

We started our weekly story time again this week with friends.  Bryn loves the songs and Liam sits front and center to hear all the stories and shout out the answers to questions.  When they review colors and the teacher holds up something green he always yells "it's green my favorite color" all in one breath :)  After story time, we had a little picnic next to the pond and then fed some ducks...
Liam and Addison...pretty cute pair :)
After storytime, Liam helped me make banana bread and we learned about measurements...

That same afternoon, Liam also started his reading lessons with his tutor (aka Aunt Meha).  He's working on his letters, phonics, sight words and such...
He checked out a level 1 reader that we've been working on before bedtime.  He's tricky because he tends to memorize books that we read a lot and he's very good at context clues...sometimes his instinct is to guess the word without trying to sound it out.  Meha says those context clue skills will come in handy later...tutor knows best :)  We just continue to be so proud of him and his love of learning.

Liam's also very into telling time recently...our car rides go something like this  "Mom, it's 4:32....now it's 4:33...what's going to come next?....oh it's 4:34!".  When I tell him to wait five minutes for something, he will ask "How much time is in 5 minutes?"  I say 300 seconds and then hear "1, 2, 3....".  I love how his mind works...one day when he had just changed into Batman he looked at me in the kitchen and asked "Do you always change back to Diana (Wonder Woman's alter ego) when you cook?"  Yes, I confirmed, I save my super powers for after dinner :)  Liam also ran into my room today and said "Mom, am I in trouble yet?"  He was playing in the other room with Bryn...hmmm, I didn't hear any crying so I asked why would he be in trouble.  To which he said "So I'm not in trouble?"  Well, did you do anything to be in trouble I asked again.  "Umm, I don't think I'm in trouble" he replied and ran off.  Bryn didn't tattle on him (this time) so I guess he got away with something :)

And speaking of smarty pants...guess who can COUNT??  So Bryn started counting to 10 about 2 weeks ago.  It is so precious and I have been meaning to post a video of it.  Before I could though she started counting to 20 this week!!  Now she doesn't hit all the numbers, but she does pretty darn good for 19 months old (tomorrow!).  Here she is and in case you don't speak Brynnie in this video she counts 1-5, repeats 5, counts 6-13, then skips to 16-20...then she asks to go brush her teeth :)

Not only does she have the brains, but also the beauty...

 Here's my big girl...one day she counts to 20, the next day she's walking off into the world...sigh, it's just going too fast...
We are so proud of Bryn and I love seeing how confident she is getting in herself.  So blessed with these two little smarties...hope we can keep up!

No comments: