As I just posted our latest monthly blog, I realized there was so much I wanted to remember about this time right now before your sister is born. She'll be here any day, and I really appreciate your encouragement to her as you whisper to my belly "Come on baby Ziggy, come play with us". You are such a sweet boy, but definitely no longer a baby. Your verbal skills alone make you seem so much older than your 26 months, and even though it makes me a little sad to see you grow up so fast, it's been so amazing to experience with you. Even if it means I have officially become Mom (or "Hey Mom!" instead of mommy). :(
As a part of being a big boy, you are completely potty-trained during the day (#1 and #2), only wearing a diaper to bed. You usually tell us if you have to go or we remind you if it's been too long. It's only been about 6 weeks but you are a pro and now enjoy frequenting many public restrooms. To make it fun I initially tried to name all the public restrooms so you wouldn't be intimidated. The construction potty (Loews), the book potty (Library), the hot chocolate potty (Coffee and Cream), Marge's potty (Presley's house...Marge is her cat's name), the Echo potty (Target-you named that one because there is an echo inside). I also wonder what other women in the restroom must think of the conversations we have. You will excitedly praise me for going as well "Good job Mom!" and will remind the automatic toilets to "wait for me potty, I not done yet" so you don't get flushed on. You also will tell me "here it comes" before you go or ask yourself (while looking at your privates) "is any more in there?" But I will take any public embarrassment over changing diapers, it's well worth it!!
You also love to dress yourself, which is privilege I let you have as long as we aren't going to a special occasion. You like wearing your orange striped shirt with your orange plaid shorts, because as you said "they both have orange". Since you discovered the yellow rain boots you wore for Halloween events you have taken to wearing those daily as your shoes :)
One day when we couldn't find your sock, you declared "Where is my other sock? It's a mystery". I have no idea where you picked this up, but since then we have been 'solving mysteries' all over. The mystery of mommy's missing flip flops, the mystery of where little T rex was hiding, etc. When we try to talk to you about what life will be like when baby Ziggy is here, we tell you that sometimes she will cry. We have told you about many things we can do when she cries to make her feel better. Lately when asked why babies cry you say "I don't know. It's a mystery. I give baby Ziggy her baba and change her diaper". I actually think that answer sounds pretty close to what your daddy would say, so you're on the right track :) You also talk about how you will make her feel better and take care of her with your doctor kit. I already worry that I will find you in her room, trying to push your stethoscope through the crib rails! But I would much rather have you very involved with her (which it sounds like is how you'll be) then refusing to accept her.
Even though I keep hoping Ziggy comes early, I have really been enjoying these past few weeks of giving you all my attention. I'm so glad I got to take off for maternity leave a little early, especially after hearing your opinion. You must have been listening to my conversation with daddy about me quitting work early due to my health issues, because all the sudden you piped in "Hey, mom. Stay home with me. Don't go back to work." Lucky for you that was already the decision, but next time I'll know to get your input too :)
As much fun as we have together, it's so cool to see your bond with your daddy. He's taken over your nighttime routine now, and you sometimes get mad if I try to impede on your daddy time. When daddy comes home, you will sometimes go outside to play soccer or look at the stars or take a walk around the block with mommy. You follow daddy into the closet while he changes and then you will take the change from his pockets up to your piggy bank. You tell him "I do the dimes, dad, you do the quarpers." Lately you like to "cook" dinner for daddy and make quite the spread in your play kitchen. You boys will often be snuggling on the couch watching football or baseball and you love to repeat any commentary daddy makes. After dinner you rush up stairs to do "bath time baby" where daddy makes you a big bubble bath. Then you brush teeth, take your vitamin, and read some books. Daddy sings you a song or two then lays you down among your stuffed animals.
Lately some of the phrases that come out of your mouth have been just too funny...
When you spill something or have an accident you will say "Sorry 'bout that mama". When you climbed all the way into your carseat and buckled it one day, daddy praised you for doing so well, to which you responded "It no big deal". When we were messing with you about something and said 'No way Jose' to you, you giggled and turned to Dallie to tell him "I'm a Jose Dal!". You love to preface your questions with "I have a question..." now. When looking down on Dallie's head you asked "Hey Dal, who swiped your hair?" You are very protective of your boo boos and when you had one on your knee that your pregnant mommy said she couldn't bend down to reach you said "It's okay mom, I kiss it for you". After the dinosaur museum, we heard you in your crib telling your stuffed T Rex "Hey T Rex I saw all about you". When I was making a grocery list and asked daddy if he needed anything you interrupted by saying "Hmmm (with your finger over your lips)...how 'bout french fries and donuts?" You are already learning the tactic of stalling at bedtime and will often call out from your crib "Hey mom!" When I ask you what you need from downstairs your answers vary from "I need to go potty" or "I'm hungry...T Rex hungry too" or "Help cover my piggies" to "I'm crying mama...I'm crying". The last one sure does pull at my heart, but doesn't get you out of bed :) And my personal favorite...one day when you woke up from your nap you called out "Hey mom...my mustache hurts!" Sure enough when I went to get you up, you had a little scratch between your nose and top lip...or in the mustache you think you have :)
I can't wait for you to have your baby sister because I know you will be such an amazing big brother...which you also tell us all the time "I real good big brother" :) She has so much to learn, and I have no doubt you will be talking her ear off from day 1.
Even though you won't get our undivided attention soon, I think you will love having a playmate and best friend always around and can't wait to see you two grow up together! Love you, my precocious, funny, sweet, inquisitive, smart, big boy.
Your mommy (or to you "hey mom")
4 comments:
It has been such a joy watching you grow and being a part of all the important, fun moments of my godson's life! You are such a sweet and loving boy, and I know you will be the best big brother; just like how your dad is the best big brother to his little sister. Hugs and kisses!
Love you! Aunt Linds
You have grown so much this year, Liam. I know you will be a great big brother to Baby Ziggy. You are so caring with Presley and don't like it when she is crying or upset. You usually stand over while I'm changing her diaper and tell her "it's ok Pres". I always love being around you just to hear what comes out of your mouth. You are already such a smart boy and impress me daily with your vocabulary and understanding of words. You will take great care of Ziggy as she grows up. Love you!
just discovered this post for some reason.. you will love having all this documented. Enjoy and cherish your last few days w/ just Liam, as I know you already are.
hey buddy, i just want to tell you how very proud of you dallie and i are. you are AMAZING!! we love you too much :) mallie
Post a Comment