As you can tell, I'm way behind on my blogging. I have blogged consistently through juggling pregnancy, grad school, work...then a baby and more work. Yet this month was just too much for me to keep up with. This month included last days in LA, moving to Dallas, Nick starting his new job, Liam and I starting a new playgroup, parties, Christmas in Houston and Dallas...not to mention I didn't have my computer set up :) Anyway, here is December 2009 in a single post...I know I should talk about the move since it was obviously the biggest event. But first I must talk about...Liam! He's 16 months old now, and honestly, he is the sweetest, smartest, most adorable little boy. Not that he wasn't before, but this last month we've really seen our relationship with him become more dimensional. He's saying lots of phrases ("kick a ball", "bye bye baby") and literally has at least 100 words he says, plus the multiple new ones he says daily. He understands EVEYTHING and even called me out when I spelled the word "baba"...scary. I joke I'm going to have to start speaking Spanish till he learns that too :) He says please and thank you with out being prompted most of the time, which amazes me...even if they are still "puh" and "mmm mmm mama" :) His communication skills have really helped his temper tantrums and when he's starting to melt down, you will hear us say "use your words". This always makes him pause and at least try to tell us what he needs...and most of the time we understand :) The more words he knows, the happier we all are! These days you will often find that he has shut himself into a room as this is his favorite new task. No open door is safe around Liam as he will shut the door "shut a dower". And he has no fear of the dark, so no room is off limits :) Well except for the kitchen, which we put down a line on the floor that he is not allowed to cross...he totally upholds this rule even when a ball rolls in there. He has really bonded with Presley since we see her daily and when you ask him who his best friend is he says "pespy" or "pes". We didn't prompt him, just asked him one day, assuming he'd say mama or dada (silly us) and that was his answer! He knows our whole family by name and says a pretty clear version of it...his favorite names being Lindsey "Tinsey" and Rachel "Achul". We thought for a while Liam needed ear tubes and even scheduled the surgery. But after treating his last infection this month, he was a new man and we decided to wait and watch since the fluid that remains there since it is not affecting his hearing. I did a TON of research on this and will keep you up to date since we go back to the ENT in January. He is adjusting so well to Dallas and my next post will include his new digs at our "temporary housing". :) He is sleeping better than ever...maybe because we finally have heat and AC?! And one of my favorite things he started doing at about 15.5 months was recognizing his alphabet letters. Between his bath letters and flash cards he plays with, he started saying them back to us. He can recognize about half the alphabet! It's so cute, esp since he calls M "mmm" and S "ssss". He just sees letters so much, esp. since we still read at least 10-15 books a day. Yes, when he's not kicking balls, or playing music, he's reading :) What can I say, he's obviously got my passion for it!
Okay, I have to stop (bragging) because I could go on forever! Can you tell I'm a proud mommy?Liam's going to dominate most of the pictures for the month of December anyway...so here goes!
Before we moved, I really wanted pictures taken at Santa Monica beach, our first family home. Here are just a few of my favorites from the day...





This picture...oh I just die everytime I look at it!
Leaving Santa Monica...yes we did the super cheesy activity of taking pictures of all our past homes...1234 11th St. Apt. 8, our first home as a married couple! 11 blocks from the beach and just a few doors down from the Jotas, we loved it! 
1301 11th St. Apt. 4...Another one-bedroom just a few doors down from the first one, but much cheaper (and the last tentants were the Jotas, so we knew the place well!). We planned on staying here for a while, but barely made our year lease...because I was pregnant!
1441 Euclid St. Apt. 10...Liam's first home! Now 13 blocks from the beach but with two bedrooms. We got into the habit of calling it Number 10 instead of home, and still tell Liam we're going to "Number 10" when we are on our way home...even in Dallas :)
My work was just 3 blocks away which was wonderful. It was such a wonderful pediatrics practice and I miss it so much!
Liam's first school...We LOVED this place and will miss all his teachers, esp. Guita :)
Since our apartment was packed in boxes, we spent the last two nights at the Santa Monica Loews hotel (note the view from our penthouse room Nick surprised me with!). It was wonderful...we walked the beach, ate at our favorite places, played one last time at "our" park, and said goodbye to our friends.

Nick started working literally two days after we arrived. He's been busy, but enjoys the challenge and meeting new people. We attended the Dallas unit's Christmas party where I met a bunch of his new co-workers.
Liam's new BFF...I know babies this age don't really "play" together, but these two actually do!
Then after living here for just a few weeks, we were on the road again, to Houston to spend Christmas with Nick's family! Here are pics from the trip...








I love his Christmas cardigan!! (Daddy did not)

He discovered the piano at Nana and Pop's house. He didn't bang on it, but just sat there and delicately touched the keys....piano lessons in the future?? 
On our way home from Houston to Dallas, we stopped in Rockdale, TX to visit Uncle Dave, Aunt Doris, and Great-Grandpa Barker. Here is Liam snuggling Cat "Tat" on the drive, visiting Dave and Doris' farm, and going to eat with Great Gpa.




We celebrated Christmas with my family in Dallas on Dec. 30. So on our "Christmas Eve" on the 29th, it snowed!! Liam LOVED getting outside to enjoy it.

You might be a Renfro if....you wear matching pajamas on holidays!!





(That last one is an example of another one of Liam's new skills...saying "cheee" to the camera!)
Nick's favorite gift? Being asked to be Presley's Godfather! (Amelia was asked to be her Godmother!)
Liam had 3 great Christmases with family. He is so blessed and his gifts from family included 6 soccer balls, a ball pit, football, baseball, basketball, golf set, bowling set...hmm see a theme here?? :)
As you can see 2009 has been a great year for our family. We wish everyone a Happy New Year and look forward to everything 2010 has in store!!
4 comments:
This blog was sure worth waiting for. We are so blessed to have you all with us in Texas! It sure was a great Christmas being able to hear Liam's words and see all the adorable things he does. Happy New Year to all.
Love Grandma D.
Hi Liam,
Dress warm this week. Winter storm coming through Texas. Grandma and Grandpa go back to school today. We sure enjoyed spending Christmas 2009 with you.
Love Grandma Debbie
I thought only the Dempseys wore matching pajamas. We are glad to hear that everything is going so well. We miss you guys out here.
Keep blogging, when you can, so we can keep up with all of you.
Enjoy your new year in your new home.
We were so glad to get to spend some time with you and Liam during Christmas. Nick, we sure did miss seeing you. We are so exicted that you guys are closer now and we will get to see you more often!!
Love to you all!
Aunt Steph
Post a Comment