Monday, May 9, 2011

May 9, 2011: Cali vacation and Mother's Day!

We went on vacation!! Nick and I had been planning a trip back to LA for months. Yet just 6 hours before our flight left, we almost cancelled the whole trip. I was a nervous wreck leaving the kids. We have really only left Liam once, right after he turned a year old, to go on a cruise. I think it was partly because we had all this crazy weather including tornadoes, then Bryn got her first fever/ear infection 3 days before we left, and I just really get stressed about flying...all of it combined I came very close to just calling the whole trip off. I am SO glad that we didn't and that Nick convinced me to go. We both really needed the break and our kids were in the very capable hands of grandma and mallie :)

We landed in LA on Friday morning and went to breakfast at my favorite spot, Nichols. We went to see our old places in Santa Monica and stopped by Kiddox. We picked up our friend Annie and drove up the coast to Lake Cachuma, just outside Santa Barbara. It was a beautiful drive and (thanks to technology) we were able to skype Liam and Bryn while driving up the coast and camping in the wilderness!

Our friends Drew and Liz planned an awesome weekend of camping at the lake. Okay so it was slightly more 'glamping' than camping and we stayed in yurts. The last time Nick and I stayed in yurts was in Big Sur when he proposed to me 5 years ago! Only this time we were yurting with 15 friends. We had ideal weather and so much fun catching up with our group of friends. Here's one of our yurts...
We sooo enjoyed eating leisurely, sleeping*, reading (me), playing drinking games (nick) and hanging out with our friends, none of whom have children. Sure, we were the annoying parents with way too many stories about our kids, but they all nicely indulged us :)

We didn't take any other pictures from the weekend...but we did get to see Danny and Lisa and do dinner in Hollywood, we had brunch in Pasadena with Will and Tanya, played with my James poolside, Nick hung with soccer/work guys at the beach and we finally got some cards in with the Ferences! Overall a wonderful weekend, we already can't wait to go back!

*Although we had a great time we really came home almost more tired than we left. We had so many friends to see and so little time. And there was the matter of pumping...just because Bryn was at home didn't mean my body got a break...so yes I pumped up and down the coast of California (including at 37,000 ft, at 5am in pitch black outside the yurt, in Hollywood, at the beach....). Everywhere we stopped I snuck my milk into people's fridges (including Nick's single guy friends) or carried around a cooler that I kept re-icing. It was not always easy but I'm so grateful to have this year of nursing Bryn and all the sacrifices of time, energy, and uncomfortable explanations to single guy friends was worth it!

Liam and Bryn had a great time while we were gone. They were spoiled by their grandma and mallie, and even though Bryn was under the weather, she did very well. We are so appreciative to them for watching the kids, and mostly for indulging their crazy mom who called a million times :) It is very, very hard for me to hand over control to anyone, but I knew the kids were in good hands and that it was important for me to do this for Nick and I and for our kids. Linds also came out to stay with the kiddos too that weekend to help out. She planted a tomato garden with Liam that he is so proud of as it is just now staring to sprout!Mother's Day weekend was very busy but very nice. Liam babysat Bryn for me :)Liam and Bryn each made me a card at school. Liam came home and said "I made you a card with my handprint on it. It's for Mother's Day. You don't get it till tomorrow". Hmm, he's not going to be very good at keeping secrets :)

On Friday evening we went to the Rough Riders game and stayed for the fireworks afterwards! Liam is still talking about them...Saturday we went to the Farmer's Market where they had some kids games...then to the kids' school picnic! Here is Liam with his teacher Ms. Bertha...On Sunday we went to brunch with the fam at the Original Pancake House, yummy! Liam and I shared hot chocolate and pancakes, Bryn chewed on her sophie, and there was a balloon artist who made Liam and I each a balloon animal/heart...I got a nap (hallelujah!) and a beautiful Stella & Dot necklace from Nick :) Later that evening we went to Mal/Dal's where Nick grilled us all chicken and corn and Meha made veggies and Nutella crepes for dessert! It was also warm enough that Liam got to do his first swim of the summer while Bryn watched from the patio...

It was a very nice weekend and made me very thankful for my mom who reminds me that you never stop being a mom no matter how old your kids are and for Liam and Bryn who give me the great privilege of being their mommy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Mommy for staying up late to update the blog. We know how much you love your sleep and how much you sacrifice for us. Bryn and I will really appreciate it when we get older.

Love
Liam T-Rex